Friday, August 12, 2011

8/12/11 And I'm going to leave out something major on purpose

Waiting on someone to come to your house is like watching grass grow in my opinion. Even though there may be a gazillion things you could be doing while waiting, you sit there, and act fidgety instead, maybe look out the window slightly every few minutes, but just enough so that your visitor doesn't see you looking out for him and think that your nutz. In my case, I popped a bottle of merlot, that just came out of the freezer for about 5 minutes, what the experts say you should do prior to corking a bottle of red to get it to the right temperature. If you're like me, you forget most of the time and end up with a cold bottle of red wine for about a glass, maybe two. Oh well. So, picking up the laptop comes secondto the wine in this case in particular. Maybe it's because of the incredible 24 hours I've had. I mean after all, finding out who your birth mother is can be extremely draining.
When Debi called me last night with the news prefaced with the exact words, "Brooke you need to sit down", just as you see in the movies, My heart pounded, and my breathe about escaped me. It was like I had emphysema, and was 87 holding on to dear life with my cane turned upside down, curved part barely tickling life. I did what I was told, and sat down, but not before I grabbed the nearest pad of paper and writing utensil, which happened to be a #2 pencil (they're the best, by all public school accounts).
I was at Mom's house, supposedly going on a date, but had decided last minute that I wanted to stay in- I couldn't stop yawning. My date was clearly miffed, but what did I care? It would be a first date, and he wasn't that friendly to me to begin with, manners almost absent. Maybe I'm too harsh, too judgemental, but you have to be one your A game the first time oyu are going out wiht someone if you plan on making a good impression- at least I think one should, especially if one has any inclination or remote idea of getting some. I'm not saying that anyone should put out on the first date, but c'mon, it's been known to happen. In fact, and I won't say anything else on this, but the days of 'I Love Lucy' are over.
I grabbed one of mom's 100 pound chairs that probably came from my grandmother's grandmother's aunt's great aunt's cousin's from Walterboro. Those mongrels are heavy, bulky- antiques I suppose, family heirlooms that will someday dance on my floors of my house, although, I don't think my house is fancy enough for them. They might stand out of place, and be screaming, "HELP! Get me to a house where someone is rich and quick."
I sat down, and looked to see what Sarah was doing, what Mom was doing, and quickly scanned the room for Sarah's overnight bag, which contained her library books we had just checked out the day before. I asked Debi to hang on, and asked Mom, in kind of a frantic manner if she could please put Sarah down for me, to which she replied without hesitation as she normally would, "Why can't you? Get off the phone." But then did it anyway. Good old Mom. You know she's always good for the asking, will most likely give you a slight, but gentle tongue lashing about it, then cave. It's something all my friends know about Mom. She is lovingly and jokingly called Lynn the Hen, and for good reason. When we were kids, and a friend would come over, or call on the phone, she would yell upstairs for me with a shrill, annoyingly loud voice, "Brooke", but what we would hear is, "Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawke." If I didn't answer it would be repeated in that same manner only shriller and more piercing and reaching a few more decimals.
I turned on the overhead chandelier which has, and I'm not exxagerating when I say this, something like 25 little 15 watt bulbs, enough to annoy the crap out of your retinas and run up your electricity bill. Draped in a muriad of cobwebs dating back to the fourteenth century probably, I was a little worried that the Charlotte was going to spell out my name in them and then sink her teeth into some obscure, overexposed body part of mine.
And that's when Debi said the words, "Brooke, I found your mother."
Now, she had said those words beforem and was willing to bet her paycheck on it before, which looking back, and if I was in a betting mood, which I have been known to take a bet- I should have taken that bet. On second thought, I wouldn't ever take her money like that.

1 comment:

  1. So c'mon... what happens next? :) - Natalie (pullin for you here!!)

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be shy to comment. It's our struggles that unite us.

Vital records

Vital records